Entertainment and the Arts
Stephens Lawyers provides a comprehensive new media, arts and entertainment law practice. Our clients include advertising agencies, designers, marketing and PR consultancies, filmmakers, artists, writers, musicians, songwriters, bands, entertainers, broadcasters, publishers, galleries and multi-media companies.
The laws regulating the media, entertainment and arts industries require a high level of expertise from a legal, technical and commercial perspective. Stephens Lawyers provides advice on:
- Content and advertising regulations and restrictions
- Copyright, moral rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Application of broadcasting and telecommunications laws
- Liability issues
- Competition and Consumer Act and other consumer protection laws.
Stephens Lawyers also assists with the preparation, negotiation and review of media and entertainment agreements covering:
- Film investment/finance
- Film and multimedia production
- Recording agreements
- Publishing - Music and Literature
- Licence agreements
- Website development
- Content development
- Interactive digital media development
- Web-based broadcasting
- Distribution and marketing
- Ownership of intellectual property
- Confidentiality agreements
- Consultancy agreements.
The firm advises on all aspects of intellectual property rights relating to music, film, animation, interactive digital media, photographs, art, stock footage and archival material, and assists with the negotiation of rights clearances/licences. Stephens Lawyers also works with creators of content in the development and implementation of strategies for the protection and commercialisation of their work and intellectual property in local and international markets.
Links to Publications
Copyright in Photographs - Perils of Online Copying - October 2014
Legal Business Structures For Bands and Musical Ensembles - May 2014
Arts Law Update: Parliamentary Committee reports on Resale Royalty for Visual Artists Bill 2008 - April 2009
Links to Funding Application Deadlines for:-
Screen Australia: http://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/funding/Deadlines.aspx
Film Victoria: http://www.film.vic.gov.au/funding/deadlines
Screen Tasmania: http://www.screen.tas.gov.au/funding_and_support/board_dates