"Complex IT projects involve a wide range of legal issues and present numerous risks for both developers and customers. Research shows:
- 31% of projects will be cancelled before completion
- 53% of projects will cost 189% of their original estimate
- Only 16.2% of projects are completed on time and on budget."
Source: The Chaos Report, The Standish Group International Inc.
At Stephens Lawyers, our knowledge of the technology industry means we understand the IT development process and the risk of project failures. We work with clients in structuring relationships and contracts that facilitate project success and minimise failures. It is critical that the contract between the parties reflects client expectations, including risk allocation and dealing with disputes. Consideration is given to issues such as:
- Project risk management
- Business requirements and expectations
- Functional and technical specifications
- Development of acceptance standards
- Acceptance testing
- Project scheduling and estimates
- Ownership of software systems and intellectual property
- Support and maintenance
- Dispute resolution.
Stephens Lawyers is also retained to deal with failing projects. We advise on legal, technical and commercial strategies that can be used to manage failing projects, including the positioning of issues and facts in the event of litigation. Our technology expertise embraces both dispute resolution and litigation.